This is a quick version of Cheesy Broccoli, but is still a pleaser.
- Broccoli, cut to either flowerettes or bite-sized chunks.
- Cheese of your choice: Cheddar, Jack, Muenster, Farmer
- Frozen Broccoli: Ideally, thaw ahead, but alas, who thinks of that! Thaw in a skillet. I add a small amount of water to the bottom of skillet, put in the broccoli, add a lid and heat on high and watch carefully. Heat fast and high, but stand there until it is thawed breaking it apart as it thaws. Remove from heat and drain well.
Fresh Broccoli: wash and cut up to small florets and stems to bite size. Steam until firm, but not hard. Drain.
- While this is cooking, cut the cheese into slices.
- At this point the broccoli is mostly cooked, just add some finishing touches (spices) to make it into Quick Cheesy Broccoli.
- Add some butter to the skillet and melt on medium heat.
- Add the broccoli to the skillet and turn down to simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir well.
- Add the sliced cheese to the top of the broccoli and cover.
- In about 5 minutes you will have cheesy broccoli the fast way.
Optional: want your broccoli just a little different; add some additional seasonings. Marjoram is great, as is basil or thyme.