From Our Farm to Your Table

Silage vs. Balage

Tue, 2014-07-08 16:57 -- jbd

What is the difference between Silage and Baleage?


Technically, Silage is  "ensiled fodder" for ruminants (sheep and cattle), and is typically made from grasses (including corn, timothy, sorghum, orchardgrass, alfalfa, ...). However, in current non-technical usage, "silage" is frequently used to refer to corn silage; and the term "haylage" is used to distinguish corn silage from hay (or non-cereal) silage.

Balage is a form of haylage that is formed into large round bales.